1. tSouls of men! why will ye scatter
Like a crowd of frightened sheep?
Foolish hearts, why will ye wander
From a love so true and deep?
2. tWas there ever kindest shepherd
Half so gentle, half so sweet,
As the Saviour, who would have us
Come and gather round His feet?
3. tThere's a wideness in God's mercy,
Like the wideness of the sea;
There's a kindness in His justice,
Which is more than liberty.
4. tFor the love of God is broader
Than the measure of man's mind;
And the heart of the Eternal
Is most wonderfully kind.
5. tThere is plentiful redemption
In the blood that has been shed;
There is joy for all the members
In the sorrows of the Head.
6. tPining souls! come nearer Jesus,
And O come not doubting thus,
But with faith that trusts more bravely
His great tenderness for us.
7. tIf our love were but more simple,
We should take Him at His word;
And our lives would be all sunshine
In the sweetness of our Lord.